Malta, a sun-kissed Mediterranean jewel, has long been a popular destination for couples seeking a romantic wedding location. With its azure blue waters, historic buildings, and inviting climate, it is no wonder that more and more same-sex couples are choosing Malta as the perfect backdrop for their special day. As local destination wedding planners, we have had the privilege of organizing numerous same-sex marriages throughout the years. In this post, we will offer some insights into planning a same-sex wedding in Malta and share some of the latest trends for wedding decor.
In 2017, Malta legalized same-sex marriage, and the country has since become a popular choice for gay and lesbian couples looking for an idyllic wedding destination. The Maltese Parliament passed the Marriage Act and other Laws (Amendment) which establishes equal rights for both heterosexual and same-sex couples. This means that both Maltese and foreign couples can enjoy the same legal protections and recognition that come with marriage.
One of the benefits of planning a same-sex wedding in Malta is the wide variety of wedding venues and service providers available. From stunning coastal locations to historic palaces and gardens, Malta has something for every taste. And, with most vendors being LGBTQ-friendly, you can be assured of a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Decor Trends for Your Malta Wedding
When planning your wedding in Malta, take inspiration from the island itself and embrace the shimmering colors of the Mediterranean. Here are some top trends for wedding decor in Malta:
- Mediterranean Blues: Incorporate different shades of blue, from ocean to navy, in your table settings, flowers, and other wedding elements.
- Locally-Sourced Flowers: Choose local flowers such as bougainvillea, geraniums, and olive branches for a true Maltese touch.
- Candlelit Romance: Illuminate your wedding venue with candles and fairy lights, both indoors and outdoors, for a magical atmosphere.
- Eco-friendly Décor: Embrace the sustainable and eco-friendly trend by using recyclable materials, upcycled decorations, and going plastic-free.
- Embracing personalization: Display your unique love story with customized wedding souvenirs, place cards, and photo displays, making your wedding a true celebration of your commitment to one another.